Southern Shores Fire Department is a non-profit corporation consisting of volunteer membership. We provides fire service and emergency medical support to Southern Shores and Martin’s Point.
It shall be the mission of the Southern Shores Fire Department to provide the highest quality service to the communities we are entrusted to serve. Preservation of life, property and incident stabilization through courage and dedication shall be our greatest priority. Throughout any event our members will be caring and empathetic to all of our citizens. We will go above and beyond in every situation to bring about the best possible resolution.
From a group of nine dedicated citizens in 1959 to a modern two station fire department of the 21st century, we continue to serve proudly with an all volunteer department.
Chartered on June 25, 1982, the proud history of Southern Shores Volunteer Fire Department began with the creation of the Dare Beaches Sanitation District in 1949. Although this initial effort failed, it led to the birth of the Kitty Hawk Fire Department when nine citizens from Kitty Hawk in 1959 borrowed money to build a fire a station near Wink’s Grocery Store. Later in 1959 the Nags Head Fire Department was organized and the Kitty Hawk truck was sent to Nags Head. In 1968 a fire district was established to provide fire protection to Collington, Kitty Hawk, Southern Shores and Duck.
On January 18, 1971 the Kitty Hawk Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated. A two bay station was built at East Dogwood and Duck Road, now the SSVFD East Station, and a two bay station was built in Colington. Kitty Hawk housed its equipment at the old VEPCO building. In 1974 the present Kitty Hawk station was built. In 1981 Colington Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated, followed by Duck Volunteer Fire Department in July 9, 1982. Construction of the Southern Shores South Station was begun in 1988 on land donated by the Kitty Hawk Land Company and completed in 1989.
Video on History of SSVFD
Enjoy this video on the early history of SSVFD during the tenure of former Fire Chief David Sanders, who led the department from July 1, 1990 to June 30, 1997. We truly appreciate his efforts to propel the department’s technology, community involvement, and infrastructure into a thriving and highly-rated volunteer fire department. We are also extremely grateful for his continued contributions to SSVFD today!
History of Southern Shores Volunteer Fire Department